Reflection on Keychain recap activity:
Before I start using Fusion360 to design my own keychain, I need to know its purposes.Fusion360 is a cloud-based CAD/CAM tool for collaborative product development. Fusion 360 enables exploration and iteration on product ideas and collaboration within a distributed product development team which combines organic shapes modeling, mechanical design, and manufacturing in one comprehensive package.
I have used Fusion360 in the previous module CP5065 to make a keychain with my name engraved on it, a photo frame, and our own chemical product. Although I have the experience of using it, I have forgotten some of the basics in Fusion360. Hence, this lesson serves as a recap for me to familiarize the use of this software again.
I have used the guided resource from Youtube provided by the lecturers on Blackboard to start on my task. Click HERE.
Once Fusion360 is opened, it will straight away lead you to an untitled project. The steps for designing a keychain will be explained below with the aid of visuals.
 |
Firstly, click on Create a sketch at the 'CREATE' tab and selected a plane. Then, click on the 2-Point Rectangle and draw a rectangle with a dimension of (65mm by 25mm). |

 |
| Finally, Hide your sketch. The keychain is designed! |
CONCLUSION: CAD is something that I am still quite new at. However, I enjoy the process of learning, and Im looking forward to expanding my skills in it.
Reflection on Handphone Stand Parametric Design Activity:Week 2 comprises lessons about laser cutting and to help us prepare better for it, we were tasked to create a personalized handphone stand in Fusion 360. However, this time around, it was not an ordinary task of creating a product, instead, we had to apply the parametric function in this sketch. I learned that parametric modeling is a method where we use parameters to set the dimensions of part or all of our model. The interesting part is that after the model is completed and given that everything is in order, we can go back and change the parameters. The model will then change accordingly while still keeping its shapings intact.
Hence, to put our knowledge into action, we had to create a handphone stand with this feature. For starters, I searched through Youtube for guided tutorials on how to design a handphone stand. After viewing and attempting some of the methods, I found the right video for me where it was much easier for me to complete my task. I followed the steps provided in this VIDEO and followed through with some of the steps to get the product that I wanted. I find this feature from Fusion quite helpful as it can come in handy in my capstone project especially when there is a need to change the parameters of the product without having to do it all over again. I find this lesson very useful because in the past I used to think that we have no other choice to change the parameters and had to redo the whole product from scratch. But knowing that this feature exists, I can now predict the amount of time that can be saved in the future. I will definitely make use of this knowledge learned during my capstone project.
Following are the steps to create a phonestand:
 |
Step 1: Add Parameters by typing in the Phone length, width, thickness, angle and offset values as shown in the picture at the 'change parameters' under Modify tab.
|
 |
Step 2: Right-click on '(Unsaved)' under the browser on the left side of the screen and click new component. Add new components named Phone. Repeat for another new component named 'Stand'.
|
 |
Step 3: Press on the 'Phone' component and create a new sketch of a 2 point rectangle and bring it to the midpoint by clicking 'Midpoint' under the Constraints tab. Edit the sketch dimension of the rectangle by clicking on the 'P_L' and 'P_W' that we have keyed in the parameters earlier.
|
 |
Step 4: Finish sketch and extrude the rectangle to 'P_T'
|
Step 5: Press 'M' for move/copy and follow the settings shown and type 'P_Angle' for its angle. |
Step 6: Click on the 'Stand component' and create a new sketch using the right view. Press 'P' for project, click the body for geometry (in blue) and the selection filter is bodies. Draw a line that is perpendicular from the midpoint's width of the rectangle drawn(triangle indicates that it is the midpoint) and press D for its dimension.Type 'P_Offset'.Click on the line and press 'X' for construction. It will show a dashed line.
|
Comments
Post a Comment