3D Printing


In this session, I have learned about 3d Printing. It requires the use of Fusion360 to create a 3d model of it first then to convert the file into an STL file then finally convert the print characteristics of the layer into a language understandable by the 3D Printer(gcode). We were given instructions to create an item that cannot be made subtractively(trimming down from a bigger piece or can be cut/carved out).

Below are the steps for a Geometric Planter Vase:
Step 1:Create a sketch with a polygon of 10 sides.

                                      
Step 2:Constraint one side horizontal vertically for ease of doing a sketch later. For convenience, sketch a circle with the corners of the polygon touching the circle.



Step 3: Click D for dimension and set a dimension of 63.088mm.

                                       



                  
Step 4: Construct plane at an angle 

                                        

                                        


Step 5:Create sketch on the new plane that we have created just now .Click P for project and select the bottom horizontal line. Then hide sketch 1
Step 6:Highlight the line and press the 'construction' type of line. Press L for line and create this shape. Select the bottom 2 lines from right to left and press equal. Repeat for the upper 2 lines as well.

Step 7:Set the dimension from the midpoint of the diamond to the upper point with 15mm and the bottom with 12mm. Click Finish Sketch.

Step 8:Go to the surface tab and patch the shape. Click S for search and search for a circular pattern, Select the body.
Step 9:Type in 10 in the pattern to create a circular shape that consists of 10 individual diamond shapes that we have created.


Step 10:Click the construct tab and click on the plane through 2 edges. Select the 2 lines shown in the picture and create a sketch. Press P for project in the 2 edges and turn off the earlier sketch.


Step 11: Press L for line and create the shape shown above. Repeat steps 6 to 9.


                                       
Step 12:Repeat step 10. Then again repeat steps 6 to 9.(for the top opening of the vase)
Step 13:Repeat step 10. Then again repeat steps 6 to 9.(for the bottom of the vase)

Step 14:Since there are a lot of bodies, we are going to select them all and stitch.Finally, turn on sketch 2(bottom)



The final product


After creating the design in Fusuin360, save the file for 3d printing and it will bring us to the Cura Slicer app. The slicer software then converts the print characteristics to a language understandable by the 3D print which is the gcode.

Cura Settings:


Nozzle size:0.2mm
Standard Quality(layer height):0.2mm
Infill:20%
No support and Bed Adhesion is needed as the surface of the vase is flat and the overhang created at the sides of the vase due to the geometry offers sufficient support during the print.

3D printing machine SOP:
  1. Switch on the power supply and on the switch of the 3d printer which is located at the back.
  2. Press the knob of the 3d printer to turn the control panel on,
  3. Insert the filament into the filament case and cut the filament at an angle.
  4. Press the prepare tab on the control panel then press preheat PLA.Set the hot end of the nozzle to 200 degrees Celcius. Let the temperature rise to the set point.
  5. Press Disable stepper, then select move and move Z.Turn the knob clockwise to around 25 mm above the bed. This is to raise the bar.
  6. Press Disable stepper again.
  7. Insert filament into the printer through the directed holes when the temperature has reached 200 degrees Celcius.
  8. Press the lever to insert the filament so that the 2 gears round the hole will open and the filament can be inserted. Push the filament in while still pressing the lever.
  9. Once the filament starts to come out through the end of the nozzle, cut the excess using a cutter.
  10. Transfer the gcode file saved in the laptop to the micro SD card 
  11. Insert the SD card into the slot in 3d Printer and start to print the model.
Why it cannot be made subtractively?
This is because the vase is made of geometric walls with each layer consisting of different angles and sizes. This layering leaves the impact of a rough stepped surface. Furthermore it cant be cut/ carved out as it will lose its shape and it wouldn't serve the purpose of its creation.

Hero Shot and 3D Printed Product:







Reflection:
Initially, I created a 3D Illusion Nameplate as my 3d design to be printed out. However, in the end, when I sliced it in the slicer software, the estimated time to be printed was targeted to be a day. To overcome this problem, I tried to decrease the sizing using the use of parametric and tried to slice it again. However, after multiple attempts, the model was unable to be sized down in which it can be printed in an hour. Hence, I had to think of a new idea instead. Hence I came up with the geometric planter vase.

Before I came in for the lesson, I thought that 3d printing will be difficult as I imagined the machine to be very technological and I may struggle a little as I am not tech-savvy. However, during the lesson, with the help of some friendly lecturers, I was able to follow through the steps and the entire process was really easy and smooth. From this lesson, I also learned to be really patient with myself as I had to redo the designs several times and make adjustments to fit in the time limit to print them out.

I had an opportunity to learn about some of the features in Fusion360 such as the circular pattern and patching features as well. Hence, I believe that with the values and lessons as well as knowing that I have learned I am able to create my group's prototype for our capstone project next semester. Overall, this lesson was interesting and affirming to know that we are able to print any product in 3d. This was a very exciting first time and I hope to make use of this technology more.

Below is the first model created(Illusion Nameplate) :


Comments

Popular Posts